Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am power of attorney on my mom and I have moved her to…

Customer Question
I am power of...

I am power of attorney on my mom and I have moved her to Spokane Washington The address was Sonoma California. I need the address to change to c/o Barbara Morello at 5038 S Stone Crest Ln Spokane Washington 99223. Last year I did not get the 1099for taxes so it must have gone to California please update the phone to(###) ###-####

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My mother is in a nursing home her sis #537 44 5554

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/21/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you what you need to do here.

...

Social Security doesn't accept POA's as an authority. In fact NO division of the Treasury Department recognizes a power of attorney for negotiating federal payments, including Social Security or SSI checks. This means, if you have power of attorney for someone who is incapable of managing his or her own benefits, you must still apply to serve as his or her payee.

...

This has to do with the fact that POA's, trusts, etc., are all state law, and every state's law is a little different. That's why Social Security has the representative payee program.

...

A representative payee is a person, agency, organization or institution selected to receive and manage benefits on behalf of an incapable or legally incompetent beneficiary. This includes a parent who is receiving benefits on behalf of his/her minor child.

...

You can read more about the rep. payee program here: https://www.ssa.gov/payee/

...

You can start the process by calling the SSA national call center, but in my experience, you'll have a more efficient experience if you call them, tell the representative what you're trying to do and they can then set up an appointment AND tell you what you'll need to bring. (Identity verification, etc).

What you'll need to bring will vary with every SSA beneficiary, but if you call, they can pull up her records and tell you what you'll need to provide, based on what information that already have for your mother.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986

Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago

Hi, Lane here. ... I’m just checking back in to see how things are going. ... Did my answer help? … If so, I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work. … But if you need more on this please let me know … Lane