Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I'm filling out W4V form withholding tax from my SSB & see…

Customer Question
I'm filling out W4V...

I'm filling out W4V form withholding tax from my SSB & see percentage check boxes of 7%,10%,15% & 25%, how can I request Total tax withholding from my SSB. ?

Accountant's Assistant: What confuses you?

Just sent message re the w4v form

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Please read my previous message

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/20/2017
Social Security Expert: TaxRobin, Tax Preparer replied 8 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

I am not certain what you mean when you say TOTAL TAX withholding but you may choose to have SSA withhold federal income tax of 7%, 10%, 15%, or 25% from each payment, but no other percentage or amount is allowed.

You cannot request more than 25% and you cannot request a specific dollar amount.

They allow for one of the 4 options and that is all.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

When I said 'total tax' withholding request, I mean no tax charged at all. But I see from your answer thats not possible, I have to request a percentage of those listed on the W4V ??

They will generally not withhold unless you complete the form.

There are some times when they are required to withhold (a non resident alien receiving SSA benefits).

SSA will not withhold tax from your benefits if you are a U.S. person without the W4V.

If IRS considers you to be a foreign person for tax purposes (or nonresident alien), SSA is required to withhold a 30 percent flat income tax from 85 percent of your Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability benefits. This results in a withholding of 25.5 percent of your monthly benefit. You may be exempt from this tax (or subject to a lower rate) by treaty.