Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband has died and the mortuary has informed you but do…

Customer Question
My husband has died...

My husband has died and the mortuary has informed you but do you need a Death Certificate?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just want to know if you need the Death Certificate

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/20/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

First, please accept my sincere sympathy on the passing of your husband.

It is common practice for the mortuary/funeral home to forward a copy of the Death Certificate when they report the death.

Check with the mortuary to find out if they submitted the Death Certificate.

If not, you will need to call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Choose the "report a death" option.

The Social Security representative will advise you where to mail the Death Certificate.

You will also be entitled to a one-time survivor's death benefit of $255.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Don't charge me the $5... You can't answer a straight forward question..... Have spent 30 minutes on ph and computer. Will stop by the office.

You are not speaking with Social Security.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security so we have no knowledge of what the mortuary did or did not do.

I will forward your concern to customer service on your behalf.

Thank you.