Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If I apply for my Social Security now, if something should…

If I apply for...

If I apply for my Social Security now, if something should happen to my Husband would I be able to draw from his. My Husband is 8 years older than I am.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I will be 63 if I apply for my SS now would I be able to draw from my Husbands SS if, God for bid, he would pass away before me? He makes more in SS than I do.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I am wondering if maybe I should draw from my 401K instead of applying for my SS now.

11/20/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane -

- I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Yes, once you are 60 you are entitled to a widow's benefit which can be anywhere from 71.5% of your husband's benefit growing to 100% of his benefit if you wait until your own FRA (Full Retirement Age) to apply for that benefit.

...

If you DO apply now, as you likely know, YOUR benefit will be reduced because you didn't wait until your own FRA (66 and 2 months).

...

In terms of pulling from the 401(k), that MAY make sense (although it's impossible to do a COMPLETE analysis without knowing what return you are getting in the 401(k), your life expectancy, etc. But is you CAN wait on taking your own benefit the returns there are guaranteed by the goovernment.

...

If you start receiving retirement benefits at

• age 62, you will get 74.2% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 50 months.
  • age 65, you will get 92.2% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 14 months.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Helpful.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS