Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I want to know something about disability. I live in. I’m 63

Hi There, I want to know...
Hi There,
I want to know something about disability. I live in Virginia. I’m 63 years old & I got my US citizenship 2 years ago. Currently I am not able to work last I work back in December 2016 before I go to hospital. I have COPD I can’t walk more than 10-15 minutes if I do my bridling start. I don’t have any health insurance. So I just want to know am I eligible for disability??? If yes how can I apply for that & how long will take to process.
Please let me know.Thanks
11/19/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Good Morning. My name's Lane

...

ou must be insured under the Social Security program before retirement, survivors, or disability benefits can be paid to you or your family. We consider the number of quarters of coverage you earned to determine if you are insured.

...

You earn a quarter of coverage (QC)—also called a "credit"—for a certain amount of work covered under Social Security, but you may earn no more than 4 QCs per year. Generally you need to be fully insured to receive Social Security benefits, but other requirements may also apply.

...

Fully Insured
To be fully insured, you need at least one QC for each calendar year after you turned 21 and the earliest of the following:

1. the year before you attain age 62,
  2. the year before you die, or
  3. the year before you become disabled.

...

The minimum number of QCs needed is 6. The maximum number needed is 40. Any year (all or part of a year) that was included in a period of disability is not included in determining the number of QCs you need.

...

Disability Insured
You have disability-insured status if you:

1. have earned at least 20 QCs during the last 10 years, and
  2. are fully insured.

To improve your chances of a successful claim, make sure to gather as many of your medical records as possible in advance of filing your claim

...

The rate of applicants who are ultimately approved, however, has remained slim — averaging just 36 percent for claims filed from 2004 to 2013. About a quarter are awarded benefits on their initial claim, while another 2 percent are approved on appeal and 11 percent at hearings.

...

Claims examiners want to see that you've received medical care for your condition regularly and recently. It helps to have your doctor fill out a Residual Function Capacity Form, detailing your limitations and prognosis. Include that with your initial SSDI application.

...

I'm attaching one here.

If you do get denied, you have to act on requesting an appeal quickly, within two months.

...

While the appeal process can be lengthy, if your claim is ultimately approved, you can receive retroactive benefits based on that initial filing date. The length of time it takes to make a disability determination depends on a broad range of variables, including how many times you have to go through the disability process (initial claim, reconsideration, and hearing).

...

It takes anywhere from thirty to ninety days to get a decision on your initial disability claim

Here's an excellent overview of the process: http://www.ssdrc.com/disabilityquestions1-20.html

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks for your reply. How can I apply? Can I apply on online?

Yes, you can apply here:

...

You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

...

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS