Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am late in filling out the IRS form for my son's trust. I…

Customer Question
I am late in...

I am late in filling out the IRS form for my son's trust. I have the 2016, 1041 and combined forms 1099 in front of me but am confused as to how get stared. Can you walk me through the process? The most important questions, do I even need to fill out this tax form. We have never owed any taxes on this trust. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so other than the reason we have to trust account is because my son has a disability. We also have a second trust (3rd party) which I haven't filled a tax form for either as there is not a large amount of money in it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/18/2017
Social Security Expert: SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant replied 8 months ago
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Does either of the following apply to the trust?

----------------------------

The fiduciary (or one of the joint fiduciaries) must file Form 1041 for a domestic estate that has:

1. Gross income for the tax year of $600 or more, or

2. A beneficiary who is a nonresident alien.

If not, the Form 1041 does not need to be filed.

Is the trust a Qualified Disability Trust? If not, what type of trust is it?

Both are a special needs trust. I don't know what a Qualified Disability Trust is. There is no significant gross income for 2016 and certainly nothing approaching $600.00 income in either of the trusts I have for my son. Nor is he a nonresident alien. So depending on what a disqualified trust is I might not need to file.

Ok. The Form 1041 is used for decedent estates, so this is not the form that you need co complete. I will check on the filing requirements for a Special Needs Trust and get back to you shortly.

The following applies to a Special Needs Trust:

--------------------------------

Does the trustee of a special needs trust have to file an income tax return?

Trusts generally are considered separate taxable entities for income tax purposes, and the trustee must file an income tax return for the trust.

First-party special needs trusts

First-party special needs trusts are funded with the assets of an individual with a disability who is typically participating in a means-tested government benefit program such as Supplemental Security Income or Medicaid. First-party special needs trusts generally always receive the tax classification of a “grantor trust.” This tax classification means that all of the items of income, deduction and credit generated by the trust should be reflected on the personal income tax return of the individual with the disability, who is the trust beneficiary. In first-party special needs trusts, the grantor is actually the beneficiary because the law requires the trust be funded with the beneficiary’s own assets. (However, inexplicably, the law requires that the first-party special needs trust cannot be established by the beneficiary, even if competent, but rather must be established by a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or a court.)

Practice varies regarding how to report this income. Some trustees obtain a separate taxpayer identification number for the first-party special needs trust when it is established. As a result, when the time comes for financial institutions to report how much income the trust has earned, a Form 1099 will be issued to the trust reflecting the trust’s separate taxpayer identification number.

The question then becomes: how does this income, which is reported to the IRS under the trust’s separate taxpayer identification number, make its way onto the personal income tax return of the trust beneficiary? The answer is that the trustee of the first-party special needs trust files an informational Form 1041 with a grantor trust information letter attached. The mechanics of this informational filing are described in greater detail below.

Alternatively, in situations where the trustee of a first-party special needs trust does not obtain a separate taxpayer identification number for the trust, the beneficiary’s social security number is ***** as the taxpayer identification number for the trust. Since the beneficiary’s social security number is ***** on the Form 1099s issued by the financial institutions reporting the income earned by the trust, a separate informational Form 1041 is not generally filed.

For the Special Needs Trust, if the trust had income of at least $1.00, the Form 1041 does need to be completed and attached to return. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

When must a Form 1041 be filed?

In the case of a first-party special needs trust which is a grantor trust for tax purposes and where a separate taxpayer identification number is ***** for the trust, the general rule is that if there is at least $1.00 of income, an informational return must be filed in order to provide the IRS with information about the taxpayer to whom that income should be taxed.

In the case of all other trusts, a Form 1041 generally must be filed if any one of the following three circumstances is applicable: (1) The trust had any taxable income for the tax year; (2) The trust had gross income of $600 or more (regardless of taxable income); or (3) The trust has a beneficiary who is a non-resident alien.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.specialneedsalliance.org/the-voice/filing-a-tax-return-for-a-special-needs-trust-what-a-trustee-needs-to-know-at-tax-time/

There is other information on the reference source page that will likely shed some light on the situation as well. It will be beneficial for you to review the information on that page.

------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.