Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I retire early and still work? I would like to collect…

Customer Question
Can I retire early...

Can I retire early and still work? I would like to collect on my early retirement benefit and work a less stressful job. I am 63 years old.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have nothing more to say.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/18/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Yes. You can collect Social Security and still work, but there are income limits if you are under full retirement age, which is 66.

Per Social Security,

"However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

• We use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2017 that limit is $16,920.

• In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2017, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $44,880.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings."

The following link contains information you will find helpful:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3739/what-happens-if-i-work-and-get-social-security-retirement-benefits

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.