Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a Canadian ex- who became a citizen in 2007, I have…

Customer Question
I am a Canadian...

I am a Canadian ex-pat who became a citizen in 2007, I have been employed full time since 2008 and have earned my required 40 points, however, the SSA is penalizeing me for receiving a pension from my previous employer in CANADA...which is nonsense because as far as the us government is concerned I did not exist

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I worked for a railroad ..IN CANADA...again but not here and it should not have a bearing on my situation

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/17/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, the Windfall Elimination Provision can affect how Social Security calculates your retirement benefit. If you work for an employer who doesn’t withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency or an employer in another country, any retirement or disability pension you get from that work can reduce your Social Security benefits.

Such is the case in your situation.

The following link contains additional information:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.