Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

As I recall, my wife who now gets 50% of my social security,

Customer Question
would get 100 % of...
As I recall, my wife who now gets 50% of my social security, would get 100 % of my entitlement if I were to pre-decease her?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
11/16/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane -

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

That's essentially correct. The SURVIVOR benefit ranges from 71.5% of your benefit to 100%, depending on the age that she fles for, and starts taking it.

...

The earliest one can take the survivor benefit is age 60 (as an aside, she cannot have re-married before age 60 to be eligible).

...

If she DOES take the benefit at age 60 the benefit is 71.5% of your benefit. The benefit gradually increases to 100% by waiting until her own Full Retirement Age to take the benefit.

You can read more about this from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS