How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 31828
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I understand that I am intitled to my X husbands Social

Customer Question

I understand that I am intitled to my X husbands Social Security upon his death. Do I need a death certificate? Original or copy.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My X husband passed away in September.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

You will need to provide either original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 4 months ago.

The information we need includes:

• Proof of death — either from a funeral home or death certificate;
• Your Social Security number, and the deceased worker’s SSN;
• Your birth certificate;
• Your marriage certificate, if you’re a widow or widower;
• Your divorce papers, if you’re applying as a divorced widow or widower

• The name of your bank and your account number so your benefits can be deposited directly into your account.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.