Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a 58 year old female looking into filing for my Social…

Customer Question
I am a 58...

I am a 58 year old female looking into filing for my Social Security Benefits. Am I eligible at this age. I have worked full time for the last 15 years.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have ongoing severe anxiety and depression and unable to work any longer. Should I not qualify for SS Disability, would I be able to file for my Social Security Benefits now?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Please know that I have suffered with this mental condition since my 20's and I have been out of work since August 29, 2017. I currently see my psychiatrist and therapist on a regular basis. Several changes in medications over the last few months have made it impossible to think clearly, focus on tasks and unable to drive safely.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/15/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane -

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

The Blue Book is used by the Social Security Administration to establish guidelines for which conditions qualify a claimant for Social Security disability benefits. Section 12 of the Blue Book deals with mental disorders, detailing which types of mental disorders can qualify you for benefits, and under what circumstances. There are nine categories of mental disorders covered in the Blue Book. These include:

• Affective disorders
  • Anxiety Disorders
  • Autism and related disorders
  • Mental retardation
  • Organic mental disorders
  • Personality disorders
  • Schizophrenia, paranoia, and psychotic disorders
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Substance addiction

Each type of disorder is evaluated according to its own criteria.

...

You have to be able to show that you meet the criteria or that the sum total of all of your disabling conditions is equivalent to the listed criteria or otherwise completely hinders you from engaging in any gainful activity.

...

Regardless of which type of mental disorder you are dealing with, you'll need to be able to show that you are receiving(and complying with) treatment.

...

Finally it's CRITICAL that you continue to undergo treatment while you are in the process of claiming Social Security disability benefits.

...

On the second question, I'm so sorry, no, retirement benefits can be taken as early as age 62 (a reduced benefit for not waiting until hat SSA calls your Full Retirement Age (FRA)

...

Here's the online version of the Blue Book:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

P.S. Here's an EXCELLENT overview of the issue of applying for SSDI under the mental illness criteria:

...

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/dnewsblog/2008/09/mental-illness-and-social-security.html