Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I just learned (when I applied for a prescription card that…

Customer Question
I just learned (when...

I just learned (when I applied for a prescription card that I will have to pay a penalty for not having a card since 2006. I need to know how much the penalty will be and if I can get any assistance to help paying it. I was never told that I HAD to have presecription coverage since 2006.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I tried calling the office and when an agent answered I was sent to do the survey before I could get my question asked.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/14/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

I am assuming you are asking about Medicare part D. The penalty is 1% of the national base beneficiary premium (about $35) for every month you were eligible for but did not apply. In your case it is about 120 - 130 month, so your penalty (increase in your monthly premium) will be about $42 -45.

You will need to contact social security for exact numbers. The waiting time can be long this time of year. You can also visit social security office in your area to check if you may be eligible for SSI - supplemental security income to help you with the premium.

I tried reaching Social Security. They called me back one hour later, but I was put into the survey before I could ask my question. I said I was very dissatisfied with the "service" because I actually didn't GET any. I am 78 years old and challenged by technology. I also don't drive and have limited access to a driver. I need to get definite answers by the "opt out" date of 11/27/17. Your answer did not help much. I also need to know that if I DO decide to apply for the card, when would the penalty first be taken out? Now (Dec.) or in Jan., when the card would become effective?

I am sorry about your experience with the social security office. WE ARE NOT SOCIAL SECURITY HELP DESK. It is a question and answer forum where you can ask question and you will be matched with an independent expert who can help you with you issue but do not have access to any personal records or social security account. To get amount/date specific answer you will need to contact social security.