Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

When is it permissible to change from personal benefits to…

Customer Question
When is it permissible...

When is it permissible to change from personal benefits to benefits from on spouse's account?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can a retiree apply for benefits from her account then after a problem is cleared from her spouse, change to spouse's account, since his would pay her more?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

She was married for 9 yrs then they filed for a divorce, then stopped it or put it on hold with no divorce, then filed and was granted a divorce after 12 yrs. There is a copy of the original filing (after 9 yrs ) in the court papers, Then after 12 yrs the divorce . Social security is treating the 1st filing as the divorce so are refusing benefits on the spouse's account.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My names Lane -

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

The front lines clerks that process these claims will always err on the side of NOT paying benefits, in my experience. And I've been helping clients with Social Security issues for 30 years. Your best recourse here is to use the appeals process that exists under Social Security law.

...

The initial appeal is called "reconsideration" and involves a review of the original claim. But while most reconsideration requests are denied, claimants may then request a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge. Applicants whose claims are again denied or otherwise do not result in the desired outcome may request a review by the SSA Appeals Council, followed by a claim in federal court.

...

Your case will turn (once you get to a level where you have a reasonable "ear," likely the appeals council) on showing that the first divorce was never finalized. Be sure to use the system. At every level, once you are formally denied,, you will get a letter. That letter will provide both a deadline for the next proceeding and the process for doing so.

...

Here's the form you'll need for starting the process by requesting a reconsideration. DO NOT let some front lines clerk at Social Security tell you that this form is for disability claims only. The appeals process under the Social Security Act, although used by thousands for disability appeals, IS the due process provided for all, under the act.

...

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-561.pdf

...

When sending, send by certified mail so that you'll have proof you sent