Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My former husband passed away 10/14/17 and I checked to see…

Customer Question
My former husband passed...

My former husband passed away 10/14/17 and I checked to see if I can change my Social Security benefit on my SSA to benefits from his SSA. We were married for 23 years. I know I would get more from his account. I conversed with someone from Social Security and they told me I would hear from someone 11/13/17, because thy were so backed up. I haven't heard from them yet. I have heard that the ATTY the last wife has, told her she would get more from his SSA than from hers. They were only married for 10 years. Please give me some information on this situation,

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

His SSA number is###-##-####

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/13/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your survivor benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

•Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
•Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
•Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;