Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I did the estimator for retirement, But my ex spouse's

Hi i did the...

Hi i did the estimator for retirement, But my ex spouse's income wasnt included, How do I know what to expect from his benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was married for 28 years, divorced, no under age children, Im 62 & want to apply for my retirement social security , as well as my ex spous's

Im waiting for a response to my retirement question
11/13/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Social security benefits are calculated disparately for each spouse .
You will either calculate for benefits based on your work record OR based on your ex-spouse work record.
You will need to know your ex-spouse earnings to use estimator.

Otherwise - you may only estimate your own benefits.

If you want to verify what you can expect as spousal social security benefits - you need to bring supporting documents and visit a local SSA office.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.

If you start benefits before your FRA - these benefits will be permanently reduced.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor