Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Will be bringing a gentleman from Germany to your offices,

Customer Question
Will be bringing a...

Will be bringing a gentleman from Germany to your offices, he will be working in Watertown and was told he needs to go to S.S. office, what is the procedure, what does he need to do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Young man coming to this country/Watertown to work for approx 8 months +-; what does he need to do, what forms, etc.?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No, retirement does not apply to this inquiry

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/13/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Does this individual have a green card?

...

If he requested an SSN card as part of your visa application, U.S. Department of State (DoS), Form DS 230, “Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration” or the electronic Form DS 260, “Immigrant Visa Electronic Application”, DoS and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will share with us the information needed to issue you an SSN card. Therefore, you do not need to fill out a special application or go to a Social Security office to get an SSN.

...

If he did not request an SSN When he Applied for aVisa

He must come to a Social Security office to apply for an SSN if you did not request an SSN card as part of your visa application. When you have a permanent address, please contact us to find out where to apply for an SSN card.

When you visit a Social Security office to apply for a Social Security card, take the following papers with you:

• Your passport with your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) if you have it; and,
  • your birth certificate and a birth certificate for each member of your family applying for a Social Security number.