Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

J.L. McNamara and my social security check was reduced by…

Customer Question
My name is***** and...

My name is***** and my social security check was reduced by $200.00 in November 2017 why? I was on disability until I turned 65.(My social security number is###-##-####-(My E-Mail address is***@******.***). I can,t get an answer from Social Security. Thanks

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My husband and I have been fighting with IRS over our income for years but are they not suppose to tell you if they are going to do something like take money out of any of your accounts,before they do it ?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/12/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 5 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

There are many reasons why your social security benefit payment might have been reduced; however, in any case, you should have received some notice of the action. To complicate matters, you indicated that you and your husband have been "fighting" with IRS over your income for years. A reduction in your payment can mean one of two things: 1) they over paid you and now are taking the overpayment back; or 2) the IRS has levied your benefit and is taking the money to pay back taxes.

To rectify this, first you have to determine why they reduced your benefit. You say you can't get an answer from Social Security. If I were in your situation, I'd go straight to my local social security office with my documents. If you haven't been there, you can use their locator tool to find the address, phone, and directions:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

I'm concerned about your comment that you've been fighting with the IRS over your income. Are you sure that they haven't taken some type of collection action? If you've received any notices from the IRS, there will always be a toll free number to call in the upper right corner of the notice. Don't be shy about calling them. Find out if they are doing anything. They're supposed to give you notice of everything that they do, well before they do it. You would have received a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, and then you'd have received a Notice of Intent to Levy by registered mail.

Also, I don't know how you've tried to contact the Social Security Administration but you can try calling at(###) ###-####if you haven't tried yet.

If you can give me more information about your IRS case and how you communicated with Social Security, perhaps I can offer more detailed guidance.

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY