How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Daloisio Your Own Question
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1295
Experience:  24 years of continuing education and experience.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
James Daloisio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I️ find out when mother (deceased) changed her

Customer Question

How do I️ find out when mother (deceased) changed her surname and get a copy of record she used
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Social security records are not public records. Are you an executor of her estate or do you have a power of attorney to handle her financial affairs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ammarried name with social security? her son. She passed away January 1979. The name change would have occurred between 1940 - 1945? There are no living relatives. I am the only child. Ihave been doing a genealogy research. I have all the info on mothers side but nothing for father. No paper trial no living relatives. Mother changed her maiden name in 1940 to married name in social security. It is my hope that a document was used to make that change and would give me more info to trace father?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Even if the social security had the information, it will not release it without Power of attorney. Social security related information, including name changes is not a public record.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You may have a better luck at the courthouse or church she got married. They still may have some records.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I only had that information. Social security gave me information when she originally applied for card for genealogy reasons.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Telling you when she applied is not the same as telling you specifics from her application. I am sorry, I cannot help you.

Expert:  James Daloisio replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** perhaps I can add a bit to this conversation.

If your mom changed her name with Social Security when she married, there should be a new form SS-5 with her married name on it.

You may request a copy of her SS-5 from the Social Security Administration by completing form SSA-711, here:

SSA says that they have records from 1936 on. In order to change names, a new application is required, so your mom's transcripts should show two separate applications (SS-5's.). When you submit the request, make sure you ask for both the original application AND the computer extract. It's $21 for the original application and $27 for the computer extract.

Hope this helped. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you wrote. I have a copy of her original application for SSN. What I am seeking is when she changed her surname to married name and changed name for SSN a copy or reference of document used to change the name. SSA-711 does not have area for such request unless there is another form for such info.
Expert:  James Daloisio replied 1 year ago.

Social Security requests the original document upon which a name change is based; you may bring it to your local office or you can mail it and they'll return it to you. However, they do not retain a copy of it. When your mother changed her name, she would have been required to show a copy of the marriage certificate or marriage license. That document will not be available from the SSA. The only document they have will be the application that is required to change your name, in effect, a second SS-5. To specifically request this document, if they actually have it, you should go to the online FOIA request site, here:

You can tell them exactly what you're looking for and hope for the best!

I see that you're trying to obtain genealogical info on your father. You can use the FOIA website to do an "all agencies" search on his name; you may come up with something previously overlooked. Let me know how you make out. These cases fascinate me. Perhaps I can give you more ideas as you progress.