Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have a house and after I die I want it be given to my son.

Customer Question
I have a house...

I have a house and after I die I want it be given to my son. If I get SSI and I die does my son have to pay all back out of my property?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

You mean that can be the case?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

No, your home s excluded for SSI purposes. The only time that your residence would be part of an estate recovery would be in the case of Medicaid, not SSI.

...

And THAT would only be in the case where you had qualified for Medicaid nursing home coverage by spending down all assets.

...

AND there are exceptions to THAT rule:

...

You may freely transfer your home to the following individuals without incurring a transfer penalty under Medicaid nursing home eligibility.

• Your spouse
  • A child who is under age 21 or who is blind or disabled
  • Into a trust for the sole benefit of a disabled individual under age 65 (even if the trust is for the benefit of the Medicaid applicant, under certain circumstances)
  • A sibling who has lived in the home during the year preceding the applicant's institutionalization and who already holds an equity interest in the home
  • A "caretaker child," who is defined as a child of the applicant who lived in the house for at least two years prior to the applicant's institutionalization and who during that period provided care that allowed the applicant to avoid a nursing home stay.

...

But for SSI purposes, the house can be left to anyone of your choosing.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane