Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If I am collecting social security checks and my wife is…

Customer Question
If I am collecting...

If I am collecting social security checks and my wife is still working and covering me with her medical insurance does money come out of my monthly checks because we make over a certain amount of money ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was collecting approximately 1350.00 a month . I received a letter reducing that amount by a little more than 250.00 stating that it was because of our reported income . They also did not send a check in October saying it was due to me receiving to much in prior months.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

If the accountant needs exact amounts I can use this site on a different day . My wife works for a large company and they have a retirement specialist that said I might of signed up for Medicaid 2 without letting them know I was covered by my wife's coverage.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane.

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

Yes, what this sounds like is a situation where you've signed up for Medicare part B (which comes with a premium) even though you aren't required to have it as long as you're covered by a group plan).

...

And the part B premium IS based on income level.

...

Medicare makes it difficult to cancel, or withdraw from, Medicare Part B, and part of this intentional difficulty is not having a simple online form for it through the Medicare.gov Web site. Because Medicare Part B provides important coverage for most people 65 and older, Medicare enrolls everyone automatically at age 65 and wants to make sure no one cancels their coverage without fully understanding the consequences.

...

In order to cancel your Medicare Part B coverage, you have to fill out a form (CMS-1763) with the Social Security Administration, which handles initial Medicare enrollment. In order to do so, you must call your local Social Security office and speak on the phone with a Social Security adviser who can help you fill out this form. Or, you can make an appointment to see a Social Security adviser in person, at your local Social Security office.

...

Here's the form, so you can be prepared, but again, they want a SSA representative to fill this out with/for you.

...

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/Other/G-CMS-1763.pdf

...

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday

...

You can do this at you your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane