Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Spouse and I (same sex) are both retired, receiving

Spouse and I (same...

Spouse and I (same sex) are both retired, receiving benefits, and have been married 4 years. We have not yet changed our "single" status with SS. Can the survivor simply present marriage certificate at time of reporting the spouse''s death or does the marriage certificate have to be already on file with SS to claim survivor benefit status? Thank you for your time and expertise. It is greatly appreciated. Rick

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No at this time.

11/11/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are not required to report changes in your marital status to social security unless you are collecting benefits based on your spouse's records and you are divorcing him/her. For survivor benefits you will need your marriage certificate and death certificate.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Eva - thank you for your timely response. Both of our minds are now at great ease. Spread our thanks around to your group as there is enough of it. Rick and Tony

You're welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
No thank you. Take care. Rick