Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How do I know if I can get widow pension,turning 60 in jan,

Customer Question
How do I know...

How do I know if I can get widow pension,turning 60 in jan

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband die 7 yrs ago,and I heard I can get widow benefit,not sure what that all is about

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not sure what you are asking

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/10/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That is correct - You may start your social security benefits as a surviving spouse as early as 60.

You can apply by telephone or at any Social Security office. The SSA will need certain information, but don’t delay applying if you don’t have everything.

You may file your application three month prior you want your benefits to start.

The information they need includes:
• Proof of death — either from a funeral home or death certificate;
• Your Social Security number, and the deceased worker’s SSN;
• Your birth certificate;
• Your marriage certificate, if you’re a widow or widower;

A widow or widower, age 60 (under full retirement age), gets about 71 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amount;

Let me know if you need any help.

I m still working,will that be a problem applying for widow pension
I cant afford that right now,sorry

You can get Social Security survival retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit.

Retirement Earnings Test Exempt Amounts for 2018 is $17,040.

One dollar in benefits will be withheld for every $2 in earnings above the limit.

Let me know if you need any help with estimation.