Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband is 74 and receives social security I am 60 can I…

Customer Question
My husband is 74...

My husband is 74 and receives social security I am 60 can I get mine now

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was a stay at home mom and worked just a brief time before we were m add rried

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No our chilren are all grown 38,37,35.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/10/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply for and receive Social Security benefits until you are 62.

Once you reach age 62, you can apply for benefits on your own work record and your husband's work record.

Per Social Security:

Your full spouse’s benefit could be up to one-half the amount your spouse is entitled to receive at their full retirement age. If you choose to begin receiving spouse’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be permanently reduced.

You will receive your full spouse’s benefit amount if you wait until you reach full retirement age to begin receiving benefits. You will also receive the full amount if you are caring for a child entitled to receive benefits on your spouse’s record who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit."

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb