Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to change banks for dirwct deposit. I now have checks…

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change banks for dirwct deposit

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I now have checks depoited to a cincinnati bank but now live in batesville,IN and wish to have my check deposited to my bank locally

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/10/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 8 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Sorry for the delay in replying but I just now came online.

There are three ways for you to change the bank that receives your social security benefits payments.

1) You may call them at(###) ###-#### Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Be prepared to wait on hold for a half hour to an hour before getting a live rep on the line;

2) You may visit the local office. You can get the address, phone number, and directions to your local office by using the Social Security Office Locator, here:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3) You can create an online account and manage it yourself from home. With an online account you can designate the bank for your direct deposits, view your benefits and history, etc. To create an account, first gather some info: Your name as it appears on your SSA account and your SS number; your date of birth, a U.S. issued driver's license or ID card, a U.S. address, and a valid e-mail address. It also helps to have a cell phone that is capable of receiving text messages.

Also, be prepared to choose a user name and a password, and three security questions/answers. Write all of that down once you've entered it into the program and keep it in a safe place. Once you have all of your info together, go to this page: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do. Read and accept the terms and conditions and you're on your way. Takes about 10 minutes. After you've entered all the info and answered all the questions, the program will send you a code by text or email. Enter the code, and you're ready to use your new account.

Hope that answered your question. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated. Thank you for using Just Answer.