Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I haven't paid into social security for years but need to…

Customer Question
I haven't paid into social...
I haven't paid into social security for years but need to get a replacement SSC now that mine is worn out and the new ones have a number on the back where my old one doesn't. Is there any chance SSA will cut off my benefits and take away my card or privilege to use it?
I am still entitled to get a free replacement card without any hassles, right?
Thanks
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/10/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can get a replacement card free of charge. Why would you think SSA will cut of your benefits? You will not get a new number.

I am just wondering, trying to avoid any unforeseen problems.
So no worries? Is that what you're saying?
I just want to go in, fill out the necessary form, get my replacement card with the same SSN on it as I've always had, and walk out with my freshly made replacement SSC. I think they said it takes a few days to process so I guess I'm stuck with going back again. I really don't want them to have my actual home address. I do have a business address I'd rather use. Is this okay?
Thanks!

You do not have to go the office, you can request the card online from your online social security account here: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

You receive the card in mail, you will not pick it up from the office. You can use home address, po box or business address, it does not matter. You cannot really hide your address from the social security administration. They can get it from the IRS, from your state tax agency, from county clerk, Medicare, even your doctor. As business owner you receive W2 from your business or pay self-employment tax, which is reported to social security by the IRS with the home address, not your business address.

They say you can apply online yet they do not provide any form fields to do so! I called them and after waiting nearly an hour I was told that they stopped doing that because of 911,? which was EONS ago!
I hate government red tape BS and just the insane environment makes me sick to my stomach as the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing!
Anyway, they offer a form you can print out and snail mail in...USELESS!
Is there any other way I can do this electronically?
Thanks!
I just looked at the application and it asks for my Mother and Father's SSN..?? I have no idea what they are. Is that really necessary? Our Parents never shared personal info like that with us kids.
Thanks for your expedient answer!