Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

IAM 79YEARS OF AGE,AND RECEIVE MEDICAL COVERAGE THROU

Customer Question
IAM 79YEARS OF AGE,AND...

IAM 79YEARS OF AGE,AND RECEIVE MEDICAL COVERAGE THROU MEDICA/KAISAR SENIOR ADVANTAGE

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I NEED A N REPLACEMENT FOR MY ELECTRIC SCOOTER WILL MEDICARE ASSIST WITH THE COST ?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

WILL MEDICARE ASSIST WITH THE COST OF AN REPLACEMENT FOR AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER I PURCHASED SOME YEARS AGO,OUT OF POCKET DANIEL WILLIAM HOPPE, ###-##-####79 LAST MAYYEARS

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 8 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Daniel:

Whether or not Medicare will pay for an Electric Scooter for you depends upon your medical necessity for one. Generally you will need a letter from your doctor indicating why you need one to be able to function on your own and to get around to complete your tasks of daily living without more intensive assistance.

For example, if you were residing in an Assisted Living Facility and having an Electric Scooter would enable you to live there on your own, rather than having to go to a nursing home, you would have an excellent chance of qualifying for Medicare to pay for an Electric Scooter. Of course, there are other similar ways that you would qualify, and the specifics of your Supplemental Medicare Insurance coverage may also impact what percentage of the cost would be covered by your health insurance.

Depending upon where you reside, there best way to determine your eligibility, is to locate a Medical Equipment Supply company that sells the type of Electric Scooter that you want. They will work with you, your doctor and Medicare to qualify you for the Electric Scooter, fit you for one, discuss the alternatives, let you try them out, etc., before you decide what will work for you.

Having just gone through this process with one of my clients, I can assure you that the industry has come a long way since you purchased your last Scooter. They pretty much come with all the "bells & whistles" now, seat belts, headlights, snow tires (just kidding), a radio, & power steering.

Your local Senior or Community Center or perhaps an Association where you reside, or an Assisted Living Facility, a friend or social worker, as the case may be should be able to provide references to a Medical Equipment Supply company if you haven't already located what you want and where you can purchase it.

Let me know if I can further assist you.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,