Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have money being deducted from my social security benefits…

Customer Question
I have money being...

I have money being deducted from my social security benefits every month. How can I get a written statement to show the IRS?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The deductions are from N.Y.but I live in Florida now.

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have spoken to the IRS and Chase private client. The IRS wants a statement showing the deduction that NYS is taking out of my social security monthly.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I am unemployed and my only income is the ss check.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/7/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 7 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You can obtain what is known as a "Benefits Verification Letter" from the Social Security Administration by visiting a local office, calling them on the phone, or creating an online account where you would be able to view, download, and print the document yourself. Here's what you need:

1) Visit your local office. Just enter your zip code into the their locator tool, here: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp, and you'll have all the info you'll need to visit them.

2) Call. Monday thru Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.,(###) ###-#### Be prepared to wait a half hour to an hour on hold before getting a rep on the line.

3) Create an online account. You'll need the following items/info:

A. Your name as it appears on your SSA account and your SS number

B. Your date of birth, U.S. address, and valid email address

C. A valid U.S. issued driver's license or ID card number

D. It helps to have a cell phone capable of receiving text messages, but this isn't required

E. Be prepared to choose a user name and password, and then select three security questions. You should write all of this down.

F. After you've entered all of your info and completed your user name, password, and security questions, the program will ask where you want the security code sent, to email or to your cell phone as a text message. After they send the code, you enter it on the website and you're in.

To Create an account, go to this website: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.do, read and accept the terms of service, and you're on the way.

The SSA online account system is very user friendly and I highly recommend that anyone receiving benefits create their own account. Just be sure you write down your login and security info and keep it in a safe place.

I hope this has answered your question. If so a positive rating here would be appreciated, and you can always return with follow up questions at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.