lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

How does it take to receive social security benefits when I

Customer Question

how long does it take to receive social security benefits when I put in for retirement in okla
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I will be retiring the month of nov. 2017 how long will I have to wait for my first social security check
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I am also a veteran
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

When you apply for social security benefits - you will indicate when will be effective date for your benefits.

That may be any months following teh months you become eligible.

For instance - if you became eligible in Nov 2017 - your effective date will be December 2017 and your first check for December will come in January 2018.

Processing time for your benefits will be about a month - if the SSA has all required information.

So - you may want to provide your last paycheck stubs to confirm your wages for 2017.

It is recommended to apply at least three months before your want your benefits to start - just to avoid delays.

Let me know if you need any help.