Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am now receiving part of my former husband's S.S. payment.

Customer Question
I am now receiving...

I am now receiving part of my former husband's S.S. payment. If he should die before me, can I still receive the same amount as I am getting now?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We were married 27 years and raised 3 wonderful kids. We are now together as I am taking care of him. He needs constant care. We are in our original home (he always stayed/worked here). We are 92 and 82 yrs "young". Kids wonder if I can receive more S.S. if he passes first.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

He is very "well off" financially. Tanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
11/7/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Just to clear the confusion, you are not receiving your former spouse's benefits, you are receiving spousal benefits based on his records. These are your benefits, not his. After his death you will be eligible for survivor benefits, that could be as much as 100% of the amount he will be receiving at the time of his death. Again, you will not be receiving his benefits, you will be receiving your benefits based on his records.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?