Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I recently received a letter from SS that seemed to state…

Customer Question
I recently received a...

I recently received a letter from SS that seemed to state that my benefits are being reduced. Can you clarify this, please? Nancy E. Cazalet###-##-#### Birth date 3/22/1947

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

More? For example?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

The letter states that my monthly benefit was changed to $482.80 as of January 2017. This was based on work that was not covered by Social security. I do not understand to what this is referring.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/24/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you work for a federal, state or local government agency, a nonprofit organization or in another country, you may be eligible for a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security.
A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit.

The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) reduces your Eligibility Year (ELY) benefit amount before it is reduced or increased due to early retirement, delayed retirement credits, cost-of-living adjustments (COLA), or other factors.

Following Windfall Elimination Provision factsheet explains whether you might be affected.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf
Please note - if you paid Social Security tax on 30 years of substantial earnings you are not affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

Questions?