Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I need to get what my medicare part deduction is each month.

Customer Question
i need to get what...

i need to get what my medicare part B deduction is each month. my social security number is ********* I don't get a statement each month on at the end of the year, applying for some VA help to pay for a skilled nursing facility JA: The Retirement Accountants require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Customer: ok JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know? Customer: no

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
10/20/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 1 month ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It sounds like you want to know how much your MediCare Part B premium is every month. 2017 MediCare premiums depend upon what your income was on your 2015 tax return. This is because the IRS is two years behind in providing tax information to the Social Security Administration. The base amount is $134 per month if your 2015 income was not more than $85,000 if single and $170,000 if married.

If you are receiving Social Security benefits, you can obtain your premium figure by calling them at(###) ###-#### Monday thru Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Be prepared to wait a half hour to an hour for customer service rep. The premium is deducted from your benefit each month.

If your benefit amount isn't enough to pay your Medicare premium they will bill you, and it doesn't sound like this is the case with you.

Another way is to create an online account with the Social Security Administration. Go to www.ssa.gov/myaccount and click on "Sign In or Create an Account." You will need your name as it appears on your social security card, your social security number, your date of birth, your U.S. address, a valid email address, and a U.S. issued driver's license or ID card number. You will choose a user name and password, and you will choose three security questions/answers. Be prepared to write all of this information down as you do it. It also helps if you have a cell phone that is capable of receiving text messages; at the end of the registration the system is going to send you a security code by email or by text. Enter the code and you're in. You'll be able to view all of your information. The process is simple and straightforward and should only take about ten minutes.

You should also be aware of the fact that the VA and MediCare operate independent of each other. MediCare will pay for your stay in a skilled nursing facility as follows: Day 1 through 20, they will pay 100%. Day 21 through 100, they will pay 80%. After that there is no coverage.

Generally, the VA will not pay for your stay in a residential facility; you have to stay at a VA facility, although if you are in a skilled nursing home there may be some services that the VA will provide or pay for. Other than that, you'd have to be in a VA facility or a facility that contracts with the VA. Speak to a VA counselor for details in regard to your personal situation and circumstances. Many VA benefits depend upon whether you are receiving a VA pension, or have a service connected disability, or are within certain income limits.

I hope this has answered your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney