Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was born in Nov. 1951 and my wife was born in Feb. 1952.

I was born in...

I was born in Nov. 1951 and my wife was born in Feb. 1952. How do I find if my wife qualifies for the equivalent of 1/2 the amount of my SS income. I retired at 64 and my wife plans to apply for SS at 66 yrs of age.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No further questions.

10/19/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

She will be eligible for spousal benefits (based on your records) if benefits based on her own records are less. There are couple of ways to find out your estimated benefits. You can log into your online social security accounts or the social security directly.

Do you know your estimated benefits at your full retirement age? Does she knows her estimated benefits at her full retirement age?

I currently receive $1855.00 a month and my wife qualifies for $320.00 a month once we file for her SSI.

If she waits until her full retirement age she will get 50% of your amount. Why are her benefits so low? She did not work long enough or she worked for government (federal, state or local) and did not contribute to social security?

My wife didn't work enough through the years.
We have a special needs child who is now 40 and living in a group home.

Ok. That's exactly why government created spousal benefits so the nonworking spouse can take care of the family and still be eligible for social security benefits.

Click here to see how much she will get depending on when she applies: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1943.html

Can you tell me where to go to fill out the paperwork for the added benefits?

She can apply online through, she can call social security directly or visit your local social security office.

Here's the link to online application: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying8.html

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Thank You for all the info Eva! Very much appreciated!
Rick

You're welcome.