Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

WRITE A SCREEN PLAY EFFECT BENIFITS SSDI UNERNED INCOME AND

WRITE A SCREEN PLAY EFFECT...
WRITE A SCREEN PLAY EFFECT BENIFITS SSDI
UNERNED INCOME AND PASSIVE INCOME NOTES
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DISABLED AND WORKED FOR 10 YEARS NOT RETIREMENT
10/18/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Income that you received based on work you done is not passive for disability social security benefits purposes.

To be eligible for disability benefits, a person must be unable to engage in substantial gainful activity (SGA). A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount (net of impairment-related work expenses) is ordinarily considered to be engaging in SGA. The amount of monthly earnings considered as SGA depends on the nature of a person's disability. The Social Security Act specifies a higher SGA amount for statutorily blind individuals; Federal regulations specify a lower SGA amount for non-blind individuals.

If you write a screen plan - that is OK.

But if you are getting paid for that work - and your payment amount is more than the amount indicating a substantial gainful activity - your might not be considered as disabled.

Questions?

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IS THAT JUST ONE LUMP SUM DIVIDED BY CALCULATION OF HOURS WORKED ON SCREEN PLAY
OR ASK IN MONTHLY ;PAYMENTS
ALSO ROYALTIES WAS STATED ONLINE SEEMD TO BE PASSIVE AND UNEARNED INCOME
AND SAID TO NOT EFFECT DISABILITY PAYMENTS OF ME ON SSDI
Phone call session started

Compensation will be considered on monthly base - that is because the substantial gainful activity is determined separately for each month when work is performed - regardless when compensation will be paid.

If you are getting Royalty based on someone's work - that will be considered as passive income,

but royalty which are based on your own work will be classified as non-passive income.

The issue is that for SSA disability purposes income is considered when it was earned - not when it is paid.

So - if you can establish that compensation you are getting is based on work done before you became disabled - that will not affect your disability benefits.

A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount (net of impairment-related work expenses) is ordinarily considered to be engaging in SGA. The amount of monthly earnings considered as SGA depends on the nature of a person's disability. The Social Security Act specifies a higher SGA amount for statutorily blind individuals;

For 2017 - the amount of SGA for statutorily blind individuals is 1,950

A lower SGA amount for non-blind individuals is 1,170

Here are rules for reviewing your disability

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10068.pdf

The Social Security Administration (SSA) will conduct a continuing disability review (CDR) to verify if your condition has improved.

In most cases, your CDR will occur every three years.

A CDR can also be triggered if you begin earning too much money from working.

the Form SSA-454-BK (Continuing Disability Review Report)

here is the form for your reference

http://www.disabilityfacts.com/documents/ssa454.pdf

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I HAVE BEEN READING THAT
ROYALTY DO NOT NEED TO REPORT TO SOCIAL SECURITY
YOU HAVE BEEN POSTING MY QUESTION ONLINE STATING A LIMIT OF1170 FOR SSDI I AM STILL NOT CONFIDENT THAT THIS HAS TO BE REPORTED

You do not report royalty income to the SSA if it is based on someone else work.

But if based on your own work - it is subject to self-employment tax and it is reported.
If that income is based on work you done BEFORE you became disabled - that should be specifically mentioned when you file a continuing disability review.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor