Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was overpaid on mySSI and SS wants the money back. I was…

Customer Question
I was overpaid on...

I was overpaid on mySSI and SS wants the money back. I was getting $662.00 plus $260.00 SSI. I owe the $6500.00 of which I cannot pay. Will they accept payments based on the $662.00 a month or do they want paynents based on the total amount $6,500.00 What is the least amount of payment per month that they will accept. I have no money, no car no nothing to sell for cash. I have called them but all I get is a recording a promise to call me back. I have heard nothing thus far. I am terribly distressed over this. I feel like my life is over. I am 87 years old with no family or anyone in my corner.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I do get about $1000.00 a month from Canada, I am but my r3ent takes up all of that. My rent takes all of that. I will have nothing left over for food. I am terrified. I can't get a job no will hire an 87 year old man.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/18/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The SSA is required by the law to collect over-payment.

If you don't pay it back - your benefits will be garnished.

The best way if you can negotiate a repayment plan to pay it back over time.

They may agree if you pay monthly $20 and that amount will be withheld from your benefits.

If you have such agreement - you would not worry about garnishment.