Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I have been divorced 16 yrs after being g. My ex husband is

I have been divorced 16...
I have been divorced 16 yrs after being g
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My ex husband is getting married. Who would be entitled to window's benefit. We were married 29 yrs before we divorced.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No.
10/17/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

His current and all of his ex-wives who were married to him at least 10 years will be eligible for benefits based on his records. You will not be eligible for his benefits, you will be eligible for your own benefits based on his records, same as his current spouse.

Your benefits may not be same depending on your age and when you apply. For instance if his current wife applies for her survivor benefits at 60 she will receive 71.2% of the benefits he will be receiving at the time of his death. If you apply at your full retirement age you may be eligible for 100% of the amount he will be receiving at the time of his death.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I retired at age 63 in 2015 and receiving benefits since then. He will be remarried in November of this year. Social security is so confusing to me. Does that mean since I didn't retire at my full retirement age I may not be eligible to receive his?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please do not call me I can call the as office and talk to someone there. Thank you.

You can ignore the phone call, it was generated by the website.

It does not mean that you are not eligible for spousal benefits. But if you apply before your full retirement age you will permanently reduce your benefits, your current and any future benefits you may be eligible for. Also, if you apply early you will automatically receive the highest benefits available to you at that time, meaning you cannot choose which benefits you take. If your ex-spouse was 62 in 2015 his benefits has been taking in consideration when calculating your amount in 2015. If he was younger than 62 in 2015 when you applied, you can check with social security as soon as he is 62, if benefits based on his records would be higher than benefits based on your own records and switch to spousal benefits.

Spousal benefits are not in addition to your own, you can collect one or another, whichever are higher.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What is the full retirement age? My ex-husband was 65 in 2015.

It is social security retirement age, when you are eligible for 100% of social security benefits.

For people born on or before 1937 it is 65. For people born in 1938 it is 65 and 2 month, born in 1939 it is 65 and 4 month....

For people born between 1943 and 1954 it is 66 and people born in or after 1955 it is 66 and 2 month, 4 month....

Here's the table: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html

If your ex was born in 1950, his full retirement age is 66.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser