Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 68 yrs. old. I have had complete health coverage thru…

Customer Question
I am 68 yrs...

I am 68 yrs. old. I have had complete health coverage thru my husbands employer and have had it uninterrupted since 1998. Medicare deduction has been ongoing since my 65th birthday. I'm not using Medicare and won't be until my husband retires in about 4 years.I learned from the employee benefits adviser that I should not be having that monthly deduction since I'm completely covered thru husbands insurance. How do I go about rectifying this and is it retroactive?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/17/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 8 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As long as you are not collecting social security benefits and are covered by an employer sponsored plans you do not need to apply for Medicare. But if you already applied, you cannot opt out now or request a refund. You can drop the Part B but you will have to wait until next enrollment period to apply and you may be penalized with higher premiums for the rest of your life later for doing it.

I have never applied for Medicare benefits, but it has been deducted from my Social Security check since I turned 65. (I am now 68) Birth date is 08/03/1949
As I said I am completely covered under my husband's medical plan. I have not used any Medicare benefits even though I have been paying for it. He will not be retiring for another 3 years. We won't be applying for anything until then. Why would I be penalized for that?
Can you tell me what I must do next to stop the deductions and perhaps get a refund of what I have been paying in for over 3 years?
Thank you.

If you applied for social security benefits at 65 or before you are automatically enrolled. You can drop Part B but you will only be able to apply during regular enrollment period (Jan through Mar) and you will be penalized for not using is if you were eligible for it. When you reapply you will pay higher premium.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/penalty/part-b-late-enrollment-penalty.html

Your special enrollment period started 3 month before your 65th birthday and ended 7 month later. If you were not collecting social security benefits your special enrolment period would start in the month you apply for social security benefits or you lose your employer's plan.

Unfortunately you cannot get a refund, even if you have not used it.

Okay, I just listened to a video on this site. I am still working full time and have been continuously. I should not be penalized for not enrolling and I should be able to stop the monthly deduction. Please help me.

I do not know what video you are referring. Yes, it is true, as long as you have coverage at work AND DO NOT COLLECT SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, you do not have to sign up for Medicare and postpone the special enrollment period. BUT you are already collecting social security benefits so it does not apply to you.