Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 62 years old. Not working any more. But I have enough…

Customer Question
I am 62 years...

I am 62 years old. Not working any more. But I have enough points to collect social security benefits. My husband will start social security in 3 months when he will be 70 years old . Half of his benefit will be definitely more than if I am on my own. Should I start collecting benefit on my own at age 62 and then claim

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

1/2 of my husband 's benefits at age 66 1/2?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/17/2017
Social Security Expert: John, Attorney replied 9 months ago
John, Attorney

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Unfortunately you are too young to do this strategy, which used to be commonly called "claim now, claim more later". In 2015 he Social Security law was changed to stop people from doing what you propose. You would have had to been born 1953 or earlier to do what you propose. The law now automatically deems a claimant who applies for retirement benefits to have applied for any spousal benefit to which he or she is eligible, for any month in which he or she is eligible. (previously you could take your benefits while your spouses accumulated, then take your spouse's benefits when they maxed - "claim now, claim more later". Most likely the best thing you could do now is wait for your husband to hit 70 at which time he'll have the maximum benefits, then you take your spousal share of that...
The longer you can wait obviously the less reduction in benefits you'll get.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.