Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

One more question. Will I get paid more monthy if I wait to

take SS next year at...
One more question. Will I get paid more monthy if I wait to take SS next year at 66. Or is it the same if I start taking it now?
10/16/2017
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Since your full retirement age is 66 (ie. you were born 1954 or before), if you were to file for Social Security retirement benefits prior to your full retirement age, your retirement benefits would be permanently reduced at an annual rate of 8% (pro-rated by month) for each year prior to age 66 (less than your full retirement benefit). For example, if you were to file at age 65 & six months, your benefits would be permanently reduced by 4% from your full retirement benefit. Also, I should note that for each year beyond age 66 that you delay filing for retirement benefits, your retirement benefits would be permanently increased at the annual rate of 8% (pro-rated by month) for each month you delay filing. Again, for example if you were to delay filing for your retirement benefits until you reach age 66 & 6 months, your retirement benefits would be permanently increased by 4% from your full retirement benefits at age 66.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

keeperumiami
keeperumiami
keeperumiami