Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am retired I'm 57 i have a cal Pers industrial disability

Customer Question
i am retired I'm 57...
i am retired I'm 57 i have a cal Pers industrial disability I would like to know if i quietly for social security
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i have a lawyer on my disabilty case with the state of california since last year . i retired because i cannot go back to work because I'm permanent and stationary
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: like?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/14/2017
Social Security Expert: SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant replied 2 months ago
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

You may qualify for a reduced portion of social security. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------

The Windfall Elimination Provision

In 1983, Congress passed the WEP to prevent employees who received non-covered (no Social Security taxes paid) pensions from the "windfall" of receiving the higher Social Security benefit calculation typically used for longtime, low-wage earners.

The WEP may reduce Social Security benefits for those who receive any portion of their pension not covered by Social Security, and also qualify for benefits based on other Social Security-covered earnings.

Below is detailed information that may apply to you as a CalPERS member:

• Not all CalPERS members are impacted by the WEP. You should check your warrant or pay stub to see if Social Security taxes have been withheld.
  • Any reduction would be to your Social Security benefit, not your CalPERS pension.
  • If you choose to take a refund of your CalPERS retirement contributions in a lump sum, Social Security will still calculate the reduction as if you had chosen to receive monthly payments for your government pension.
  • The WEP may not apply if you have 30 or more years of substantial earnings in employment where you paid Social Security taxes. If you had between 20-30 years of substantial earnings covered by Social Security, the WEP may still apply, but at a reduced level.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/active-members/retirement-benefits/service-disability-retirement/social-security-and-your-pension

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I am aware I would be penalized on the amount they would pay me . My question is am I eligible to receive any money since I am permanity disabled be only 57 or do I wait till 59 or 62

Hello again,

Based on the following information, you can apply for disability up until the age of 65. If you are eligible to receive social security retirement benefits under the Windfall Elimination Program, you are eligible to receive disability benefits. Just like the social security benefits, the disability benefits likely will be reduced. SEE BELOW:

-------------------------------------

The Windfall Elimination Provision can affect how we calculate your retirement or disability benefit. If you work for an employer who doesn’t withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency or an employer in another country, any retirement or disability pension you get from that work can reduce your Social Security benefits. When your benefits can be affected This provision can affect you when you earn a retirement or disability pension from an employer who didn’t withhold Social Security taxes and you qualify for Social Security retirement or disability benefits from work in other jobs for which you did pay taxes.

The Windfall Elimination Provision can apply if:

• You reached 62 after 1985; or

• You became disabled after 1985; and

• You first became eligible for a monthly pension based on work where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes after 1985. This rule applies even if you’re still working.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

-----------------------------------

Social Security has set up age categories to help with the disability decision process. Individuals who are 18 to 44 are considered young individuals, those 45-49 are "younger" individuals, those 50-54 are considered to be closely approaching advanced age, individuals who are 55 and over are considered advanced age, and individuals 60-65 are considered closely approaching retirement age.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/dnewsblog/2009/01/does-age-help-you-get-social-security.html

-----------------------------------------

The minimum age to receive social security retirement is 62 years of age.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1943.html

If not further assistance is required, a positive rating is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant