Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I know when you turn 65 you MUST sign up for Medicare A even…

I know when you turn...
I know when you turn 65 you MUST sign up for Medicare A even if you are not collecting Social Security.
I know Medicare B is optional
I also believe we can buy a Medicare Supplimental Care from a third party ie Humana/UHC which people call Medicare D
My questions are is the above correctWhat is Medicare CWhat is the current cost of parts A&B
Thank youWhat
10/13/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are not required to sign up for Medicare as long as you are covered by an employer sponsored plan through your job or your wife's job. However, once you apply for benefits you must apply for Medicare (after 65).

Part A is hospital insurance - it covers your hospital stays

Part B covers your office visits and labs.

Part D is prescription drug coverage.

Part C is a Medicare advantage plan. These are HMO and PPO type of plans that replace your Medicare and often include dental, vision and drug coverage.

I am currently unemployed age 62 and paying my own healthcare costs. So at 65 i do not have to signup for parts a&b if I choice a MedicRe advantage Plan. I thought you need to sign up for Medicare at age 65 PRt A and then obtain part c

Medicare advantage plan is Medicare plan that is subcontracted to a private insurance company. You will have to sign up for Medicare but instead of Part B+D you choose Medicare advantage.

you basically sign up foR A & C
what is the current cost of A
Thank you

Yes. If you qualify for social security benefits part A (hospital coverage) is free.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser