Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am wanting to see if i can file for survivor benefits. I…

Customer Question
I am wanting to...

I am wanting to see if i can file for survivor benefits. I turned 60 this year and my husband passed Nov 2014

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was told by social security i could not recieve any from my husbands social security til i turned 60. He passed Nov 29 2014.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I dont know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/10/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 10 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all my condolences on the loss of your husband. I'm sure the last few years have been difficult. I hope I can provide the information you need.

As you were told, you are eligible for Survivor's benefits, based upon your husband's earnings record, when you turned 60.

How much your actual benefits you are entitled to, depends to a large extent whether or not your husband was collecting his retirement benefits when he died, and if so, whether or not he began collecting his benefits early, that is before he reached his full retirement age.

Given the complexity of your particular situation (in terms of determining the actual amount of benefits you are entitled to receive), I suggest that you make an appointment with your local Social Security office in order to apply for your Survivor's benefits in person. You should tell them what you want to do (Apply for Survivor's Benefits), so that you can determine what information they want you to bring in for identification and in relation to your Spouse's information and record of your marriage. This will avoid a second trip to obtain the documentation you need.

Here is a link where you can determine the location and phone number of your closest local SSA office, using your Zip Code.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#officeResults

You will want to call first and make an appointment to meet with a Benefits Counselor to apply for your benefits. If your local office doesn't publish a local phone number (some do;some don't), you can call 1-***-***-**** to make an appointment anywhere in the country. Sometimes calling this number involves extended wait times on "hold", so that's why it's better to use a the phone number of your local office, if one is published.

If possible, it would be prudent to bring someone with you, a family member, close friend or your tax or financial advisor, to make sure all your questions get answered to your satisfaction and so that the other person can take any necessary notes so you can concentrate on what is being said.

Let me know if you have any additional follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the SITE will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,