Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I receive benefits from my deceased ex-husband that I…

Customer Question
Can I receive benefits...

Can I receive benefits from my deceased ex-husband that I was married to for over 18 years, and had 2 daughters with?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I'm getting ready to apply for my social security benefits, and saw in the newspaper that I could claim a part of his also?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

He was re-married, twice before he died, but only for a short time each time. He also was a Vietnam Vet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/5/2017
Social Security Expert: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 7 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you.

If you were not remarried by the age of 60 and at least 62 years old when you apply for benefits then yes, you will qualify for ex spousal benefits. Social Security will pay you your benefits first and then calculate benefits based on your ex spouses work history.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends.

You may apply online if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older at with Social Security by creating an online profile at https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

Documents you may need to provide

SS may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

• Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate.

If this answer has helped please accept the answer by clicking on three stars or more.

A rating of 5 stars or higher is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Im not sure I like this? Please refund my money, and cancel my information, I have an attorney who is going to represent me.I just thought I could get a quick answer. Regards, Sandra I will call my Visa account to verify that this charge has been removed.

I gave you an answer in ten minutes

STOP!!!

I took the time to answer your question and I am only compensated when and if you answer the question.

I did my best to answer your question in a professional, polite and correct manner. I don't feel I was treated the same.

I will contact our customer service department and request a refund for any funds that you may have paid.

Have a great day!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®