Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am looking to start collecting my deceased first husband…

Customer Question
I am looking to...

I am looking to start collecting my deceased first husband SS in January 2018. Do I have to go to an office to do this?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Like what?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My X husband died Oct, 27, 2003. We were married just over 10 years, Sept. 1979 and divorced Oct. 1989. I am currently single and have been since 1996. I will be 65 Nov. 14.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/5/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You can collect a monthly survivor benefit as early as age 60, but at this age you will only receive about 70% of the amount you could get if you wait until your FRA.

The full retirement age for survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956.

If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

Call 1-800_772_1213 (TTY 1-800_325_0778). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

You can also contact your local Social Security office.

An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.