Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have an appointment this afternoon to arrange to be an…

Customer Question
I have an appointment...

I have an appointment this afternoon to arrange to be an agent for my aging mother. What do I need to bring to the appointment?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She is 92 years old, and as of this summer, she has asked me to take care of her personal financial affairs. I have power of attorney and am executor of her will and trust.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/5/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

As far as documentation goes, you'll need to prove identity (Driver's license), prove your relationship (birth certificate or other evidence of your being her child. (If you can pull this together today, they'll give you time), and provide your social security number.

...

More important is being ready to answer questions about whether you are the best representative payee. They'll be asking a set of questions that come from the POMS manual (The SSA internal Program Operations Manual)

...

Here's the section of the manual that dictates how the questions should be asked and what they're looking for:

...

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200502113