Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to establish a payee and get my mothers SS benefits…

Customer Question
I need to establish...

I need to establish a payee and get my mothers SS benefits reinstated

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

It was on the phone with SS, and also went into the office where I leave in Wisc. They were not helpful but suggested I go to the office in VA where my mom lives at a assisted living home. Her mail was returned because the residents do not take mail there.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I have proof of her living at the center and my POA for her financial affairs. What else will they need when I go into the SS office I don't want to be sent away again

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/4/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Bear with me a minute. I want to pull up the Rep Best practices from the knowledge base here at my firm. Identification and proof that she is your mother come to kind first. You might also want to provide some documentation that you are the contact person for the assisted living facility ... but bear with me a second and I'll be right back

OK, The form that's used is "SSA-11-BK, Request to be Selected As Payee," but in the POMS MANUAL (their internal Program Operations Manual) they strongly encourage employees to use their internal eRPS system ... (meaning that they take the application FOR/WITH you)

...

See this from the manual

...

"NOTE: Faxed, mailed, or dropped off SSA-11’s are leads. You must follow up with a face-to-face interview, telephone interview or video service delivery (VSD) interview. For information on subsequent face-to face interviews...'

...

Then a little further down the page we see

"REMEMBER: Payee applications must be taken in the eRPS whenever possible (MS INTRANETERPS 001.001 for individual payee applicants and MS INTRANETERPS 014.001 for organizational/institutional payee applicants).

When a paper application is taken because the system is temporarily unavailable, process the application through eRPS when the system becomes available.

To the extent practicable, the SSA-11-BK must be completed in a face-to-face interview. This section describes the expected answers to the questions on the SSA-11-BK and how to evaluate those answers.

Here's a link to that part of the manual ... but I'm also attaching as a pdf file

...

The reason I'm giving you the link is becasue there are links to other sections of the POMS there ... (such as the sections on follow-up interviews)

...

If you'll familiarize yourself with this... you'll be one step ahead of them all along the way

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200502115

And here's what they say online about this:

...

Contact the Social Security office nearest you to apply to be a payee. You must complete form SSA-11 (Request to be selected as payee) and show us documents to prove your identity. You will need to provide your social security number, or if you represent an organization, the organization's employer identification number. Usually, you must complete the payee application with us face-to-face.

here's the form itself

And here's where you can go to do the required ongoing accounting once you become the payee:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/form/

Note particularly the questions and answers starting on page 3 of 9. If you're prepared with the answers that will have them make the outcome that YOU ARE THE BEST payee, you'll come out with only one visit required.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Here's the PDF of the POMS manual for that section (Again note the questions and answers starting on page 3)

Hi, Lane here again.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago

Hi, Lane here again.

...

...

Did my answer help?

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all

Thanks

Lane

Hi - Did my answer help? (Tried to get you ready ...)

...

Let me know

...

Lane

Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago

Hi, Lane here.

...

...

Did my answer help?

If so, I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

But if you need more on this please let me know

Lane