Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My former husband (1956 - 1971) recently died. I understand…

Customer Question
My former husband (1956...

My former husband (1956 - 1971) recently died. I understand I am eligible for benefits without impacting his wife. How do I go about claiming them?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don’t think so. I just need to know where to go and what to bring with me and the general rule for this

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/3/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.
If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800_772_1213 ( TTY 1-800_325_0778). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.
In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so they can make the report.
You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.
Let me know your zip code - and I will find a local office serving your area.

If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:

You will need to apply for the survivor benefits.
The SSA will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower.

The SSA may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:
•Proof of the worker's death;
•Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
•Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
•U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
•For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
•W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
•Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
•Marriage certificate