Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

We are trying to find out what to do in the following

Customer Question
We are trying to...

We are trying to find out what to do in the following situation. My Father died several months ago and left my Mom who was just beginning to suffer with dementia. Our daughter moved into Mom's house and started taking care of her, however, after 3 months it is just too much for a 27 year old to do on her own. It has gotten so bad that last night I showed her where the bathroom was in her house and she went in and went to the bathroom, but couldn't remember where the toilet paper was or what to do with it. My Mom collects my Father's social security. Are there any programs that can us get the help my Mom needs?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I don't know what they might need. My Mom's house is in a trust. The only income she receives is Dad's social security. She does not have savings, stocks, etc.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/3/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

I'm sorry to hear ... but this is a common set of facts when dementia gets to that level.

...

If she's having trouble articulating, or showing other signs of not being able to char for herself you MAY be at that place where you need to use her assets to pay for a memory care facility.

...

Once the assets are spent down, she will then likely qualify for Medicaid.

...

One thought might be to contact one or more hospice services. This can be a great help and is largely paid for by Medicare. Hospice is no longer only for those on their deathbed. Those that have problems speaking, for example, or need help with the activities of daily living, can many times qualify.

...

And almost any time that a doctor certifies that death could be as short as six months away, the individual will qualify.

...

But again, based on what you've said, se may be very close to qualifying for Medicaid and long term care eligibility via Medicaid