Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I recently turned 64 and earn $52,000 annually. My ex-spouse…

Customer Question
I recently turned 64...

I recently turned 64 and earn $52,000 annually. My ex-spouse earns 350,000 annually. We were married twenty years. His birth year is 1947. He continues to be employed full time. I do not know if he has applied for benefits. I would like to know what action would serve my best interest in planning my retirement in 2019. Thank you.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/3/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

If you'll look at the attached table (note the column for "unmarried divorce spouse"), as long as you were born January 1 1954 or earlier, you can file what's called a restricted application for spousal benefits only.

...

(Those born after that, no longer have the option, because of the changes brought about by the Bi-partisan Budget Act of 2015.)

...

When you do this, your OWN work record benefit accrues an additional 8% delayed Retirement Credit (DRC) for every year that you wait to take the benefit between age 66 (full retirement age for those born between 1943 and 1954) and age 70 ... making your own benefit a full 132% of what it would be at full retirement age.

...

I'd need to know both benefits to run the numbers, but becasue the benefit is only based on the wage base (76000 to 108000 between his own benefit would not necessarily be more than twice what yours is AND remember that the divorce spousal benefit is only 1/2 of the worker's benefit.

SO its VERY likely that filing the restricted application to let your own grow and then switch to your own benefit at age 70 will maximize benefits for you.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

thank you The bot***** *****ne is that I will wait until I am 66

Yes, as you can see that IS one of the requirements to be able to do the restricted application. I'd agree.

...

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane