Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband diedon august 25, iwould like to know what i need…

Customer Question
My husband diedon august...

My husband diedon august 25, iwould like to know what i need to do now

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He died in the hospital on Aug 25, 2017 we finally buried on Sept 22, ineed to know what i need and who to send it to to close his account and if i will receive any future benefits.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Do you need his social security number, my so cial srcurity number, a death certificate notice, and how do i get all this information to you,

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/3/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi - my name's Lane. I'm sorry for your loss. Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here.

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what you need to do. Again, so sorry, but reporting a death and/or applying for survivor benefits are one of the few things that CANNOT be done online.

...

You'll need either to call the Call Center to ask what documents are needed (they can pull up your record and see what's still needed - (the funeral home may have reported the death already, for example)

...

They can then either set up an appointment to take the documents into the local office OR start the process on the call and tell you where to send the documents.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

you can read more about this from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/survivors/

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

The stars are located at the top of the page, but if you are on a mobile device (like a tablet or a phone), you may have to scroll left or right to see them and click on them to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane