Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need a valid phone number for S.S., the toll free number…

Customer Question
I need a valid...

I need a valid phone number for S.S., the toll free number 1-***-***-**** has a message that it has been disconnected. I need to inform you of my wife's passing on 9-28-17. Please help as I am not computer literate and am 81 years old. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No, I just need to handle this and apply for the $255.00 death benefit. Her checks were sent directly to our bank account.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
10/3/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your loss...

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office

or call 1-800_772_1213 ( TTY 1-800_325_0778).

You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

That number is ***** disconnected - and works perfectly - just verified - please try again.

Note: In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so they can make the report.

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when they died.

Let me know if you need any help.